Sunday, March 9, 2008

Dumpster Diving Momma

Pat is trying to teach Kelly how to ride the bike I so generously picked-up for her while dumpster diving in our subdivision. I didn't actually have to dive, the bike was propped up next to the trash. And it wasn't literally a dumpster, it was a standard trash can issued by the sanitation department. The only embarrassment surrounding the whole scenario was that the bike belonged to some folks renting a house a few doors down and my kids thought I was stealing it from their driveway. I saw the mother take it out to the street one morning while I was loading my kids into the car. I knew better than to let that bike sit there too long because I lost out on a really nice Schwinn a few months back because I said to myself if that bike is still there when we get home, it's ours! Apparently I have some trash-digging competition in this neighborhood. Damn military people! Why don't we pay them more? God must have know what he was doing when I had that last bike snatched out from underneath me, because this one is a reeeeeeeal beauty! It was barely used. If fact, I never even knew kids lived at that house until they were there for about 4 or 5 months because I never saw any children outside. Come to find out they had two kids. They must have watched their fair share of The Cartoon Network because this bike is brand new.

By-golly, Kelly isn't gonna keep it new for long. She is gonna learn to ride this sucker!

And if she can't learn to ride it...

Pat will!

For you information, the bike's family of orgin has since moved away so there is no embarrassment what-so-ever when we peddle down the street and parade past their empty house. Ummmmm, well that's not exactly true. I am a little embarrassed that Kelly insists on wearing this vintage pink and white gingham dress I found at a consignment shop and agreed to buy her to wear as a "costume". This "costume" is now her favorite dress.

Life is great!

3 comments:

Lorie said...

Gosh, He about flipped the whole bike on her. That is hilarious!! Glad to see he fixed the tire. Tell her I said she looks awesome!!! She is going to fly on that thing!!

ashley said...

That is so cute. I love how she trusts him so completely not to let her fall. Reminds me of the time that you talked me into trusting you to put me on your handlebars when I was in Kindergarten. I was a little worried but you PROMISED not to slam on the breaks. When you did decide to 'test' out the breaks at least you were nice enough to ride over to the grass to do it. I caught some pretty good air when I flipped over the front tire. I didn't trust you again until you talked me into being "Baby" to your Johnny and try the lift from Dirty Dancing....first time I ever had the air knocked out of me.

Jess said...

I love the videos! She is doing great! She doesn't look like my boys did when they were trying to ride...with their training wheels! They kept putting their feet onto the ground because they didn't trust the training wheels to catch them. It was funny...but not near as funny as Pat almost dumping her off the front of her bike!! WOW...that was close!!