Monday, February 4, 2008

The Compromise: Baked Wings, Spinach Artichoke Dip & Sushi

I know. I know. The combination doesn't sound so good, but by the time I was finished getting it all in front of the TV we were starving and ready for anything. Pat agreed to baked wings instead of fried because he said, "I can eat more that way." Thank goodness for such rational thinking. To make the wings I used a combination of a Barefoot Contessa recipe and an Alton Brown recipe. The wings were ok, but knowing that my husband will live longer made them taste all the better. I also made a Spinach Artichoke Dip that I enjoyed more than the wings. Lastly, I picked up some sushi and we had a party. Well...not really a party, but we put the kids to bed a 6:00pm and that is as close to a party as we can get these days!



Broiled Chicken Wings with Lite Blue Cheese Dressing



24 chicken wings
1 stick unsalted butter, divided
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons Tabasco
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
1 cup lite mayonnaise
3/4 cup lite sour cream
2 tablespoons 1% milk
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the broiler.
Melt 1/4 stick butter. Put the wings on a sheet pan and brush them with the melted butter. Broil them about 3 inches below the heat for 8 minutes. Turn the wings, brush them again with the butter, and broil for 4 more minutes or until cooked.

While broiling, melt remaining butter add cayenne, Tabasco and salt and begin sauce.
For the sauce, place the blue cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Process until almost smooth.
Toss wings in butter mixture and put on your beer goggles.







Spinach & Artichoke Dip
(originally from Sara's friend,Hope, I added the spinach to make it "fortified")
1 cup mayo
1 cup sour cream
1 can artichokes packed in water, drained and cut to desired size
1 can diced green chilies
1 ½ cups asigo cheese grated
1 10oz. package frozen spinach, thawed, drained very well

Mix all ingredients together and pour into shallow baking dish. Bake 350 degrees until golden on top. Blot oil. Served with baguette slices.


This dip is so good it will knock you over!





Hey! I'm four. Your teeth stink! God is wheely, wheely strong. When bugs die, they go to Bug Jesus. Mom, are you listening to me? Help me, I'm talking and I can't shut up!







And if you believe this...Patrick took the left-over sushi to school in his lunchbox (no raw fish). He asked that I include chop sticks. Bless his little heart! If he can withstand the ridicule of accidently being sent to school in Batman pajamas (cape included) and eating sushi at a kindergarten lunch table, he may actually turn out to be a solid man built to withstand the pressures to conform.


Postscript: When Patrick came home from school he said almost immediately and without any solicitation, "The kids at lunch didn't like the sushi." I inquired further. Did they laugh at you? How did it make you feel. Did you eat it anyway? Did it make you sad? He somberly replied, "Yes I was sad 'cause the chop sticks made the sushi fall apart." That's my boy!

6 comments:

ashley said...

Sushi in a lunchbox? That is my kind of kid. Remember when he was really tiny and we went out for sushi and he grabbed a big wad of wasabi off of Pat's plate and got it into his mouth before we realized what he did!? I've never seen someone drink water so fast, but he didn't cry one bit (just breathed through his mouth very loudly for the next two hours).

BAS said...

Sushi for the Super Bowl? Sounds like something Jean-Pierre would eat. Or Jacques. Or Laurent. Yves. Actually, Yves wouldn't even watch the game.

Jess said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! I am amazed that he likes it so much that he would be willing to take it to school! I have to admit, I am like the kids in his class (not particularly fond of sushi)!
I take it you don't fix Spinach Artichoke Dip like I do. Because the dip we have makes FRIED wings look like a low cal, low fat food! But it is oh-so-good! ...and by we, I mean the girls at work or my friends because Paul would NEVER try it....spinach and artichokes are green. He has come a long way in the time we have been married regarding the vegetables that he will allow touch his lips...but that one I would have to blindfold him...no that won't work, he has a nose like a bloodhound when it comes to vegetables.

Jess said...

Oh...I scrolled back up and see the recipe now! Sounds and looks good, I will have to try that soon, very, very, VERY soon!

Kellys said...

Oh my gosh, Kristy!! I laughed while I was reading your blog to Greg last night.....your Patrick and his sushi.....in his lunchbox of all things!!! Keep em comin!!

paula

Anonymous said...

Kristy,
The next time you go to the library look for a book titled "How My Parents Learned to Eat" by Ina R. Friedman and Allen Say. I thought it was really cute and Patricks lunch made me remember it! I think he'll like it.
Sara