At sixty-something Millie woke up one day to an empty house that had once been filled with needy children and a water-thirsty husband. After years of cooking three-squares a day she can finally eat ice cream for dinner and cake for dessert…alone. This is the story of one lady who managed to raise eight kids, served Sunbeam bread to dinner guests and ultimately landed a job at a restaurant so she would never have to cook a meal again. Millie has sliced, diced, chopped, grilled, fried and sautéed her way out of her kitchen and into the dining rooms of her children -- an evolution any tired mom would appreciate.
Happy birthday, Mom. My dream for you today is that you get your fill of cake, cookies, pie, Krispy Kremes, chocolates, candies, sugary breakfast cereals, salads that contain jell-o and cool whip and any other sugary substance you love to nosh on! Since food is obviously something I enjoy, I must thank the person that fed me first and that has fed me the most. Thank you for all the home cooked meals. Thanks for all the time it took you to prepare them each and every night while jousting teenagers, wrangling toddlers and fetching Dad a glass of ice water. Thank you for the love that you showed me by making sure I was well fed. Thank you for my sweet tooth. I especially want to thank you for not forcing me to eat things I didn't like and for not making me "clean" my whole plate. I believe it is for this reason alone that I managed to make it this far in life without an eating disorder. Thank you for making Sara and Lorie do the dishes and sweep the kitchen floor.
While cooking all those meals I think what you inevitably taught me was an appreciation of family. The memories of sitting at the dinner table are ones I will treasure forever and it is because of you and your hard work that I have them at all. If I am able to provide the same for my family I will be proud. You should be proud too!
In honor of Mom's 67th birthday I will provide one of her favorite cake recipes. This recipe originally came from Sara, but Mom has taken it over. It is sweeeeeet and tasty!
Sara's Pina Colada Cake that Mom Loves
1. Bake on box yellow cake mix as directed in a 10x13 pan.
2. Mix the following and pour over hot cake:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can cream of coconut
3. Let cake cool completely (this part is hard to do)
Frosting: Mix 1 large box instant vanilla pudding mix and one 20 oz. can crushed pineapple with juice. After blended, fold in one 12 oz. carton cool whip.
Refrigerate and than eat until coma is induced.

20 comments:
Happy Birthday Mom!!
I couldn't have said it better. Really I couldn't have!
I forgot to say. Uh, yeah, thanks for making me and Sara do the dishes and sweep the floor. But, I especially liked cleaning the sink out after the water drained. My kids have the same love of it I did.
Thank you Kristy, I especially like you taking a year off my age.
Love you
m
Gosh darn it you are fast. I should have been down here righting this while Kate was awake from 1-4 last night.
I love you so much mom. My blog post dedicated to you will come later.
Homina, homina, homina....that looks like a wonderfully sweet treat.
Happy Birthday Aunt Millie!! I love you!! *smooch*
Wouldn't it be better if you would have made us the cake instead of telling us how?
Bruce
Wow, my brother is reading! I am truly honored. Bruce, you are probably right, I should make her a cake, but if I did she and I would eat the whole thing. Secretly.
Mom, sorry I missed your age by a year. I knew better, but please consider that I am still writing 2007 on my checks.
Ashley, I wasn't trying to beat you to the punch blog-wise, I just knew mom would be reading at 4:19AM (as she did) and had to head her off before I went to bed last night. Shew! It was a close call.
Hey, it's fine, take off as many years as you want, just don't add any.
m
Kristy...this is a beautiful post. Happy Birthday Aunt Millie!! We love you!!
Happy Birthday Aunt Millie, Love you bunches!!!,Kevin and Kim
Happy Birthday Millie!
In celebration of your birthday I will take Sara to lunch. Then I will drop her off at the grocery store so she can get all of the stuff to make your cake. She can call me when she is done!! I love cell phones. Maybe I will go by the Sportman's Warehouse while I wait, but I digress. We will all be thinking of you while we polish off the birthday cake that Sara cooks for you!
Love ya,
Jeff
Thank you Jeff, I hope you both enjoy our lunch and please eat an extra piece of cake for me. Cell phones are great as well as email. Remember when I sent you a birthday card in March and your birthday is in May. Blogging is much better.
Love
millie
Jess, Kim, Lesley, all of you make me feel so special. I don't remember ever getting so much attention on my birthday.
Love you all
Aunt Millie
Mom,Does that mean you would have given them special notes in their lunch boxes if they were your kids?
a special note for Kristy
I love you love you love you
sorry I missed you on the note business when you were little, will this one do?
Roses are red, violets are blue
sugar is sweet and so are you.
Mom
of course, so is Lesley,Kim and Jess
Uh oh, I'm sensing a little bitterness. :)
Happy Birthday Mom! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I forgot my cell phone today so I have been stranded at the grocery store waiting for Jeff to remember me. I started having flashbacks of being left at the ball park. Those were good times! I love you Mom and love the fact that you can make all of us feel special. I will always remember your answer when someone asked you who your favorite child was. You said,"Whoever I'm with!" I wish I were with you today.
Love,
Sara
My blog sucks compared to the others. I am sorry Mom. All I could do was post a picture of you in a nice clean yard.
I love you more than the others do though.
Sara, how sweet, you are special and I wish you were with me too.
The ballpark, oh my, what memories today. It's a wonder you weren't scarred for life.
I've had a wonderful birthday,and Kristy's blog has about as many comments as PW's
Love
Mom
That's ok Lorie and Uncle Ed has that yard very very clean now.m
Post a Comment