Friday, February 1, 2008

The UPS Man Came

Yesterday evening the UPS man came a knockin'. Those in my immediate family know my feelings about UPS men. I love them. I mean I looooove them. I have never pinpointed the reasons for my deep admiration, but it exists. Deeply. I shared my sentiment with my mother-in-law a few years back (it's great to have a mother-in-law with whom you can share these intimate feelings) and she immediately thought of me when she heard this poem recited on National Public Radio.

Why I Have A Crush On You, UPS Man

you bring me all the things I order

are never in a bad mood

always have a jaunty wave as you drive away

look good in your brown shorts

we have an ideal uncomplicated relationship

you're like a cute boyfriend with great legs

who always brings the perfect present

(why, it's just what I've always wanted!)

and then is considerate enough to go away

oh, UPS Man, let's hop in your clean brown truck and elope !

ditch your job, I'll ditch mine

let's hit the road for Brownsville

and tempt each other

with all the luscious brown foods —roast beef, dark chocolate,

brownies, Guinness, homemade pumpernickel, molasses cookies

I'll make you my mama's bourbon pecan pie

we'll give all the packages to kind looking strangers

live in a cozy wood cabin

with a brown dog or two

and a black and brown tabby

I'm serious, UPS Man.

Let's do it.

Where do I sign?

by Alice N. Persons, from Don't Be A Stranger

I think I could have written this poem myself. As a matter of fact, around 5:00pm each day when I am trying to pull together dinner and the kids are at their worst (exactly the time on which Brown is on my street, honking his horn at all the ladies), I think I could hit the road to Brownsville and start on my dark chocolate and Guinness diet.

I wondered if I was the only one who felt this way and sent out an email to a few friends and family members (no names mentioned, but I am sure you don't know any of them). Here are a few comments I received back.

Note: Some names and minor details have been omitted to protect the guilty.

~ "I do love him too, great legs, cute little shorts, usually sexy sunglasses and he brings you presents. Oh, if only he would clean my bathroom too."

~ "I do have to say that I have watched a few UPS men walk away....only if they were younger though because I am not really attracted to the 50 year old ones :) Its the whole man in uniform thing...you cant resist."

~ "Funny you should bring this up...there was a really bad thunderstorm the other day and I looked out my window and the UPS man was sitting in his truck in the middle of the cul-de-sac. I ran downstairs (so excited b/c i knew he had something wonderful for me) and begged through the window for him to bring it. It was storming so bad he couldn't get out of his truck. I about drove _________ crazy debating whether I should run out with an umbrella and invite him to come inside to safe haven. I sat and watched the cute man in brown the entire length of the storm to make sure nothing happened to him. ( __________ said I was stupid and he wouldn't come inside). As soon as the storm subsided enough for him to deliver out of danger, the heroic man ran through the rain to bring a smile to my face and hand me my package. =) Anyway, the answer is yes, I've always given a little flirty eye to the UPS man."

~ "Well of course I love him, who wouldn’t? I LOVE all the gifts he brings. Somehow, he always knows exactly what I am wanting!!!"

~ "In the past I have experienced many the crushes on men in uniform, especially those wearing short pants. The first uniform crush was on a Coca-Cola delivery man; I was really into drinking Coke Classic back in those days. I had fantasies of my hot Coke man muscles bulging as he carried me cases of my favorite beverage.
When I got a little older, old enough to have a credit card and place an order, my sights did change. I have to admit I can’t resist checking out the men in brown. My roving eyes don’t stop there. I now have a Schwan’s delivery man. For those of you who are not familiar with this species let me explain. He visits me every two weeks driving a refrigerated truck. I can order all kinds of food but I usually go for things like ice-cream and the occasional peach pie. I have to admit, I enjoy seeing him in the hot summer months. He wears shorts and a smile and has the kind of man legs that I like. Not too big and not too small…just right!"

~ "The dog enjoys the excitement of the truck, the doorbell and the possible attack. Maybe that’s what you guys enjoy too, like the dog, the possibilities, I am sure the dog just imagines, I don’t think he would ever go through with it……or would he…would you?
I like the package… once unwrapped it is usually not as exciting as imagined…packaging is a wonderful thing. What can brown do for you?"

So maybe it is just the possibilities I imagine being so wonderful, but yesterday when the doorbell rang and the UPS man stood there with nothing in his hands, no brown box, no incoming catalog orders, no e-bay wins, I thought that just maybe...just possibly...brown was here to find out what I could do for him?

With baby on my hip I opened the door. Seeing his empty arms, and sharing a moment of awkwardness between us, I tell you with all honesty -- I had a severe heat flash. My face turned red and I stuttered. Had he some how learned of my secret crush and came to make good on it? Had he tapped into my email in-box and read all of the confessions? Oh Lord. What am I going to do?

You probably will not believe this upon first reading, but my initial inclination was correct: Brown was at my door wanting to know what I could do for him! Yes, it is true.

At first there was awkward small talk. How are you? How is your son? And your wife? This made me particularly uncomfortable because it just wasn't natural. Please, just cut to the chase. Pat will be home in minutes and the dinner is burning. Then he delivered his true desire for me. I could tell it made him a little uncomfortable to be so forward. But like the respectable man in uniform I dreamed he was, he stepped up to the plate, swallowed the lump in his throat and asked me. Unable to hold back his true desires any longer, he cleared his throat and blurted it out, "Do you think my son could get a job at the restaurant this summer?"

There it was. The moment I had been waiting for all my adult life. I was finally going to be able to help a former student get a job. This is what teachers live for. Oh, that's right, I forgot to mention that I taught the UPS man's son 7 years ago. I guess I should also mention that the UPS man went to high school with Gus. Small world.

So I will go on living with my little crush unrequited. And with such a close call on my doorstep last evening, I can say with great certainty that I am like the afore mentioned dog: I enjoy the excitement, the doorbell and the thought of possible attack, but the package is better left unopened because once unwrapped it can never be as good as I imagined it to be.


8 comments:

ashley said...

Actually having heard about the Schwans man I decided that I needed one of my own. I saw him in the neighborhood awhile back so I pulled up next to him and he jogged over in his little boots and shorts to deliver a catalog. From afar he looked promising but he was a 'total Monet' beautiful from far away but a big mess up close. Such disappointment. He has stopped by a few times and has even left me his cell phone number (how forward is that?!) but I can't bring myself to committ to his peach pie.

Lesley said...

I usually don't get to see our UPS man because he drops the package and runs back to the truck to get away from our dogs. A few months ago, a new Schwan driver took over our boondock route. I'll just say it was a definite upgrade. Haven't tried the peach pie, but the sausage links sure are good! Ha-ha!

Lesley said...

I'm having some guilt about sounding vulgar before and wanted to set the record straight. I really do order the fully-cooked sausage links often. They make cooking breakfasts in early morning before school much easier, and my kids love them. So there, I feel better now.

Anonymous said...

Please don't feel guilty. If you think you sound vulgar, what must you think of my entire post? And besides, I can honestly say I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard. I loved your comment and it has given me enough warm fuzzies that I may become a mad blogger and go post happy.

Lesley said...

Go right ahead and go post crazy. I already think your blog rivals Pioneer Woman's!

Lorie said...

oh my gosh... you are all too funny.

And Lesley ... vulgar upsetting to this family? Is that possible?

Jess said...

I love my family! And Les, I don't believe that you have an ounce of vulgarness in you! But I did get a mental image of you rethinking your decision to hit the "Publish your comment" button. With your fingers up to your mouth, you actually let out an "arrr" sound and then had to type out the retraction. Am I right?
Kristy, I love the post. I used to live a few miles from my work and had the same UPS man for both. He is incredibly good looking! When he came to my work one day and started discussing being at my house, I thought my coworkers were gonna have to pick there eyeballs off the floor! It made for a very interesting discussion. He ate it up and then just smiled at me when he left! Shame on him, he is gonna ruin my reputation!

Anonymous said...

I must add a comment that a friend emailed me after she read the post. Here is what she said:
"I have a UPS story - this is TRUE: I went to UPS central (in Prichard - roll up the windows kids and pretend we're not in a white BMW!) to get a package that we'd missed a couple of days in a row - turns out it was on the truck and wouldn't be in till much later. So I angrily headed back home - now it's nearly dark after driving 30 minutes out of the way in a bad neighborhood - and who is parked in front of my neighbor's house but UPS! So I screech into the driveway, tell the kids not to touch anything in the front seat, and jump out to run to the UPS truck. Two guys are in it (it was the holidays I think), and I run up to them in the middle of the street and ask about my package - they don't have it but they call the guy who does and ask him to bring it by later - so sweet! Then one guy takes a package to my other neighbor while the cute one talking to me looks around a bit and says he wants to ask me a question....He's been leaving packages on the front porch usually, but doesn't know if we come out the front door much, so he's worried something'll get left there for days and get stolen. So the last one he left by the back door near the garage. So do I prefer the front door or the back door????!!!!!!!!"