
Our dinner tonight will be browned Beef Carnitas. If it turns out well I'll post the recipe. If not, my family will suffer in silence (probably for days because I am making a lot of it).
The photo above is from the recipe I am using with a few exceptions. It calls for pork. Since pork is the other white meat I am using beef. Beef is brown. And more filling.
.
The following addition to this post was made after we ate dinner:
.
The Beef Carnitas were pretty good. It was totally a throw-together meal, but I think I will make it again. I have decided to post it because (1) the beautiful picture above may really make you want it and (2) it was simple to make.
The Menu: Beef Carnitas, Yellow Rice and Jazzed-up Black Beans with Guacamole, Sour Cream and Salsa on the side
.
Beef Carnitas (the Soccer Mom Version)
.
Beef Chuck Roast
Goya Adobo Seasoning (look on Latin food isle or you could probably use garlic powder, s & p)
1 medium onion, halved
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 jalapeno pepper
2 cups chicken broth
14 oz. can tomatoes
Cilantro (a hand full of fresh or maybe just a teaspoon of dried)
Shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend and some mozzarella)
Sour Cream
Guacamole (I usually make my own, but I highly recommend the brand Wholly Guacamole. Find it in the produce section at Wal-mart. It is actually as good as my homemade version and probably cheaper)
Salsa
.
1. Season the roast well with Adobo powder. Top, bottom, & sides! Shake it. Shake it. Shake it, Momma.
.
2. Put first 8 ingredients into crock pot. Turn on low and go about your business.
.
3. When ready to eat use a strainer to retrieve the chuck roast and shred it into smaller pieces. Also retrieve some tomatoes (dice them up) and some onion slices. Place on a warm flour tortilla, top with cheese, guacamole, sour cream, salsa and more fresh cilantro.
.
4. Enjoy the easy and filling meal.
.
My kids loved this. When I told them we were having beef for dinner they made ugly faces, their heads began to spin and high-pitched siren sounds came out their mouths. Then I changed the name from beef to burritos. The terrible noises stopped, but by the looks on their faces they still were not convinced. Then I let them assemble their own (mainly meat and cheese) and hid the tomatoes and onions out of their peripheral vision. Suddenly it was manna from God. Sissy informed me she wanted it for breakfast tomorrow morning only tomorrow she wants it to be flat (i.e.: a quesadilla), with just cheese and pickles. I guess that means she liked the Beef Carnitas. I hope you do too.

5 comments:
Good one. Of course you need to pick the brown meat. Anything brown.
My semi exciting dinners are being replaced by the not so exciting help me to lose weight dinners. ha
This looks delish.
That is funny because that is the exact reaction I get out of Brian when I mention most of the dinners I make. I try to hide stuff from him too but this week he honed right in on the parsnips in the Chicken and Veggie Soup that man has a fine tuned radar for stuff like that.
There is no use ruining a perfectly good meal, a very favorite meal, with something as useless as a parsnip. The sirens definitely go off for that.
Hello!! I am so glad you have started blogging too! Love the recipes, and I have to tell you ---UPS, oh yeah there is just some mystic to that and good looking legs don't hurt a bit!! Well, I had better get back to helping Borat-Bwa ha ha
Love, Kim
Hey B,
I made a soup with parsnips once and I am going to agree with you on this one. It was gross. We had a hard time forcing the kids to eat it when we were both holding our own noses with every bite. By the time dinner was over Pat & I were bent over laughing because the kids were crying and we were acting like it was sooooo good. No more parsnips in this house!
Post a Comment