
Cream Cheese & Chicken Enchiladas
Adapted from Paula Deen Celebrates!
4 cups chicken, chopped
One 8 oz. package (1/3 less fat) cream cheese
One 10.75 oz. can cream of chicken soup
One 4 oz. can diced green chilies, with juice (use two cans if you like a mild kick)
One 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
~~~~~
10 (approximately) tortilla shells, 7-inch diameters
One 10 oz. can enchilada sauce
2-3 cups shredded cheese (I use Fiesta Blend, use what you like)
~~~~~
Garnish:
3 green onions, chopped (include the pretty green tops too)
chopped cilantro
shredded lettuce
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Pour a little enchilada sauce on bottom of 13x9 pan to prevent sticking.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients and scoop 3/4 of mixture into each tortilla shell. Roll shell and place enchiladas side by side in dish.
3. Pour remaining sauce over entire dish of enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese.
4. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes.
5. Sprinke tops with lettuce, cilantro and green onions and serve.
Note some changes to the original recipe:
~ I only use one can of green chilies because of the kids, but if I was making it for myself I'd...well...I'd probably just go to a real Mexican joint and forget about this pseudo-Mexican-home-cooked-bologna. Or I'd stick to the original recipe and use 2 cans of green chilies plus add some jalapenos and habaneras for good measure.
~ The original recipe calls for 6 cups of cheese. Yes, I said SIX cups of cheese. Do you think that was that a type-o in the cookbook I used? I am sure it is delicious that way, but I like my ass to fit on this chair while I pound out this delicious blog entry. I sprinkle maybe 2 cups of shredded cheese over the top. It's enough to cover the whole enchilada (and then some).
~ And don't forget the most important ingredient to this meal.

7 comments:
I didn't remove Ashley's comment because it was bad or anything. I just edited my original blog entry and instead of making her look dumb, I deleted what she said in reference to the original post. What she said was actually invaluable information, just no longer pertinent.
I'm going to stop explaining myself now.
Okay.
Bye.
See you later.
I've been edited, oh the shame. This is the blogging equivalent to a "beeeep" over my voice when speaking or a black line over body parts(like on tv).
These look awesome! I can't wait to try them. I am sure Logan will be singing your praises when he sinks his teeth into these. I'll let you know...
I had to look twice. Tortilla shells? What is with that? Paula Deen should be ashamed. Here in Texas we just call them tortillas and they are flat, not shaped like shells at all. Shells are used in shotguns.
And I have GOT to find some of that bottled margarita stuff. I will go searching right after work.....
Thanks Kristy, luv ya, paula
Now wait a second. I said the recipe was adapted from Paula Deen. To be clear, she did not call them tortilla shells; I did. I also said this is not an authentic Mexican dish (or Texan for that matter). So forgive me for the lack of correct terminology. I'm just a dumb ol' Southern girl trying to get dinner on the table!
It is okay Kristy...you are in good company....cause I also call them tortilla shells! oops!!!
Post a Comment