
Call it vane. Call it stupidity. Call it denial. The claims of artificial sweeteners causing cancer didn't make me slow my diet coke intake. However, if diet coke is going to make me fat, I may have to curb my cravings. The latest study conducted by Purdue University (what do those dorks know anyway? Right, Brian?) says their lab rats got fat from the saccharin!
Here's what the LATimes said this morning:
"In the experiment, funded by the National Institutes of Health and by Purdue, nine rats received yogurt sweetened with saccharin and eight rats received yogurt sweetened with glucose, which is close in composition to table sugar. After receiving their yogurt snack, the animals were given their usual chow.
At the end of five weeks, rats that had been fed sugar-free yogurt gained an average of 88 grams, compared with 72 grams for rats that dined on glucose-sweetened yogurt, a difference of about 20%. Rats fed sugar-free yogurt were consuming more calories and had 5% more body fat.
In a related experiment, scientists gave the two groups of rats a sugary drink and measured changes in the animals' body temperatures. Body temperatures typically rise after a meal because it takes energy to digest food.The rats in the saccharin group experienced a smaller average temperature increase, scientists said -- a sign that regular consumption of artificial sweeteners had blunted their body's response to sweet foods, making it harder for the animals to burn off their extra calories.
You can read the bad news yourself at the LA Times, but it doesn't get any sweeter.

5 comments:
So sorry about the news Kristy, but it doesn't seem to be effecting you yet! ...maybe it was the yogurt and not the sweetener. ha
This is what your hubby has been saying all along! Must be a smart guy
Thanks Jessica. I do only drink one or two a day, but I really like them a lot.
And yes, Pat has been saying this for years. Really. He has. He was right? The verdict is still out, but he may be close to being right.
Fortunately, as far as I know Diet Coke is sweetened with aspartame. So maybe it's not so bad. John has been saying this for years also. I know it is probably true of all kinds of artificial sweetener, though. I just like to pretend not. Fortunately, I have cut back a lot and not drinking so much. But I still drink too much.
Artificial sweeteners are the cigarettes of our generation. I have been saying it all along ... And I'm going to say it in Maryland, Virginia, Ohio, and all the way to the White House. True conservatives are sacharrin conservatives.
Post a Comment