Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Happy Valentines 's Day

Enjoy a few Valentines my kids made. You won't be receiving any in the mail. Know that they love you, but that their mom was too tired to put any in the mailbox.

I came up with the idea of printing their photos on hand made cards, but I asked each kid what they wanted to write in the bubble coming out of their mouths. Kelly's bubble should have said ,"Happy Criggin' Valentine's Day," but the kids in her class don't cuss yet and probably wouldn't appreciate her articulation.

This is the one Kelly made to give out to her pals from preschool. She insisted on drawing (i.e. tracing) her own hearts and cutting everything out for herself - all 14 of them! You know what I love the most? The rough-cut edges make my heart melt. Aren't they beautiful?























The card below is a version of the card Patrick designed for his friends (and I do mean designed) except this one is for his teacher. I offered a suggestion of You rock! coming out of his word bubble, but he immediately shot down my idea and, without missing one beat, came up with his very own Valentine message. Can you read it? Look closely. He wasn't satisfied that I typed only the song's lyrics, but also wanted me to add the beat, "Dunt. Dunt dunt dunt. Dunt." I explained that those weren't words at all, those are sounds and I don't know how to spell sounds. He ran out of the office, into the garage and disappeared for less than a minute. He ran back inside and said, "Dad says you spell it D-U-N-T." I told him the kids in his class would never understand the beat being spelled out on a Valentine. We settled on writing just the lyrics and found this perfect photo to capture his Rockentine sentiment. I wonder what his teacher is thinking right about now. First I send him to school in pajamas (with cape). Then I put sushi and chopsticks in his lunch box, now this - a Valentine message that no one understands.
Please note his message to his teacher (written in pencil at the bottom). So sweet!

The third Valentine was an afterthought (he is a typical male). It is for his bus driver, Mrs. G. Dad helped him find the perfect words to convey just how we all feel about Mrs. G's service to the bus riders and their parents.
















Today, as you find yourself hurrying about your mundane tasks, and the obligatory "Happy Valentine's Day" begins to roll off your tongue when you pay the cashier. Do as Patrick does and say what really mean: Everybody dance now! Dunt. Dunt dunt dunt. Dunt. Everybody dance now! Can you feel the music? Dunt....

Happy Rockentine Day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes the store bought card (that I haven't bought yet, but it's only the 13th) and the cashmere sweater that I'm giving my husband seem pretty mundane! Happy Criggin' Valentines' Day!

Jess said...

Oh!...do I EVER feel that beat! Go Patrick! I just finished taking a test and thought I would check back in to see if anyone posted this evening. ...It may be late, but he has me movin' now! Dunt. Dunt Dunt Dunt. Dunt. WOW! (That was the family holler during a song...you know the one!) EVERYBODY DANCE NOW!

BAS said...

Things that make you go hmm.

Lorie said...

Love the new header!!

And LOVE these Valentines. They make me so happy.

Love that you let your kids be so creative and do what they want to with them. Awesome!

Lesley said...

Dance 'til you can't, dance 'til you can't dance no mo...

I've had this song stuck in my head since yesterday morning when I read your post. It makes me think of you guys with a smile on face!

Kristy said...

so glad it has made you smile. I smile when I think about it too!